Published: January 17, 2022
Led by Former Obama White House aide Bill Burton, the firm is building a bilingual, diverse team of advocacy, political, and tech experts
(LOS ANGELES, CA) — Today, Bryson Gillette, an award-winning, minority-owned strategic communications, public affairs and political firm, announced the addition of four experienced communications experts to their team.
Alex Johnson | Vice President, California
Alex has nearly twenty years of successful cross-sector experience working with policymakers, nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and philanthropy to solve complex problems and advance change. Alex has served in previous leadership roles at the California Wellness Foundation, Californians for Safety and Justice, and various cause-based organizations.
Elsa Alvarado | Director, Washington, D.C.
Elsa Alvarado is a communications expert who leverages her years of senior-level public affairs experience from the Pentagon, the State Department, and the campaign trail to position Bryson Gillette’s clients in the media and cultivate key stakeholder relationships.
Monika Lee | Senior Manager, California
Monika joins Bryson Gillette after working as the Associate Communications Director at the California Pan-Ethnic Health Network, a statewide health advocacy organization advancing health equity and racial justice. Previously, Monika worked on several statewide campaigns and ballot initiatives as a Campaign Coordinator at Paschal Roth.
Michael Ocon | Manager, California
Michael Ocon is a recognized leader in the realm of educational equity, a trained political organizer, and a passionate advocate for institutional access. Michael is a first-generation college graduate and is a proud alumnus of Stanford University.
“The four new additions to our team – representing our commitment to diversity and excellence – will continue to change the face of the industry by telling impactful, resonating stories that help drive change for the communities and nation in which we live,” said Burton who served as deputy press secretary in the Obama White House, founded the Democratic Super PAC Priorities USA, and has advised world leaders, some of the nation’s largest brands, and nonprofits big and small. “Bryson Gillette is rooted in the belief that it is possible to build a successful, intentionally diverse company that offers premium services at the very highest level. The political and public relations industries are in a crisis of diversity, we are showing that it does not have to be that way.”
Based in California and Washington, D.C., Bryson Gillette is an intentionally diverse team comprised of 67% people of color, with a leadership team that is 100% women and people of color. Bryson Gillette won PRovoke Media’s 2022 Best North America Public Affairs Campaign, 2022 North America New PR Agency of the Year, and 2022 Global New Agency of the Year.
In 2022, Bryson Gillette delivered major wins throughout the nation, representing:
- California Kids Code: a precedent-setting privacy protection bill for young people in California
- Congresswoman Summer Lee: the first Black woman sent to Congress by Pennsylvania voters
- Frances Haugen: the Facebook Whistleblower whose advocacy led to the most globally impactful piece of social media legislation passed by the European Union
- Regenerate America: a nationwide, multi-racial coalition of farmers, ranchers, food companies and environmental advocates lobbying to change federal laws to support regenerative agriculture
- Stop Plastics Pollution, California: a first-in-the-nation statewide single-use plastics and packaging waste reduction policy
- Yes on Measure LA: a $5.3 billion bond measure for Los Angeles Community College District – the largest community college district in the nation.